Thursday, January 25, 2007

Sounds

I learned today that beginning in the 27th week, the baby's sense of hearing becomes significantly more well-developed, so much so that he may be able to hear our voices, as well as music! They say that the sounds are quite muffled, first because ambient sound in the womb is about equivalent to the noise a vacuum cleaner makes, and second because the vernix, a waxy coating protecting the baby's skin from becoming chapped in a liquid environment, impedes sound from entering the ear canals. This stuff occuring in week 27 is pretty amazing! I guess I'm going to have to start playing the iPod headphones over Monica's belly button...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember attending high school basketball games (that Brad was refereeing)in the winter months before Monica's birth in April. I swear she kicked in time to drummer in the school band. Tell Peanut we say hi! Love, Vicki and Brad

Monica said...

I told him -- and I'm pretty sure he heard me. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Guys, I'm in Czech visiting my new nephew Daniel (who was born in early December at 10lbs so beware!)and seeing how people react to a new baby everywhere is great...hope all is well with you two xxx