Sunday, December 10, 2006

@ 20 weeks

December 2006. Monica has been going to regular appointments to check on peanut since September. For the first several months, there is really very little evidence that she is actually pregnant--she has no "bump" yet, and she, fortunately, wasn't even morning sick. It began to feel like we were going to the doctor's office to "visit" the baby -- to hear the heartbeat, to be reassured by the doctor that this really was happening. By December, though, the "bump" is just beginning to become noticeable, and for the first time Monica thinks she might be feeling the baby moving. At the December appointment, the doctor completed a full scale ultrasound, checking on all the baby's requisite parts. In the span of three months the baby is more recognizable as such--we see a four-chambered heart, two working kidneys, the brain's two hemispheres, two legs, two arms, two feet, two hands, two eyes, a healthy spine and skull, and exterior plumbing.

This is a picture of his face -- he's lying on his side, as if he's asleep, facing you -- so you're seeing the top of his head and left side of his face. Top of his head is on the left.




5 comments:

caiticoodita said...

This is so exciting! I feel that "Peanut" just may be a nickname for a while.:-)

I feel like I can visit my little nephew online, and hear about the excitement that you guys are going through. I wish I were there to go through it with you, but since I am not, this is the next-best thing.:-) I can't believe I am going to be an auntie!

Are you going to send him to visit me for a week every summer? I would like that. I'll be a cool aunt.:-)

Love you guys, and I can't wait to feel Mon's tummy!:-) And to play with you both soon at Christmas.

Love, Caitlin

Jamie Robertson said...

One of the grandpas here. We'll (grandma and I) check back for updates. We are both very happy for you.

Unknown said...

Just another of the (proud) grandpas. What fun. It is amazing that the ultrasound also showed two sets of grandparents and an aunt. Amazing.

Monica said...

Dad, you should see the one that has the virgin mary on a piece of toast!

Bob B. said...

How exciting! Thanks for sharing this with me.
-- Bob