Tuesday, December 12, 2006

@ 20 Weeks Part Deux

December 2006. My kid will, I hope, forgive me this indiscretion. I also hope it's not so bad for him that he'll feel the need to invoke Philip Larkin's sentiment in "This Be the Verse," but I'll wager he won't. When this little one is old enough both to know the great joy he will have brought to us and the importance of the gift of forgiveness--perhaps then.

You see in this picture...well, you figure it out. We're sure you can. "Immodest" -- as my great friend Adam's little nephew Aidan might say! (Imagine you're looking up from below the kid, who looks to be sitting down.) The doctor said she's 90% sure he's a boy -- and that he's certainly not shy.

I'll hope he might remember something more like a moment in passing, something like Gary Snyder's poem "Changing Diapers." I think I will.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Monica and
Colin, I am very happy to learn of your pregnancy and wish you both well. It's very exciting! Thanks for telling me, and please tell me when the baby is born. Good luck!

"Little" Jamie said...

Monica and Colin, congratulations! That is so exciting. Thanks for sharing the blog. I can't wait to see you guys—just a week or so now i guess.

Love, -Jamie

Unknown said...

It is bizarre but very welcome this sharing of pregnancy across continents!
Are names a secret until you see "peanut"?
I hope the three of you enjoy a lovely holiday break and get smothered in familial attention...xxx