Friday, April 13, 2007

Approaching 39 Weeks

The sun's just coming up over the Virginia Range east of Reno, and I'm looking south towards the Carson Range of the Northern Sierra while the long, raked light of the morning begins to peak over the mountains, golden and soft. It's cold, for April. Tall columns of steam are rising into the dry air above the buildings downtown, and the winds are still. It's strange to look out on the 25 stories of The Silver Legacy Hotel and think they actually did something right putting reflective glass on the building--it's really quite beautiful in the early morning. The windows reflect gold light back through the rising steam; as the heat unfurls toward the sky, the steam flickers like flames from an enormous torch.
Went to the doctor yesterday. Everything appears well, and things are beginning to happen. I'll spare you the details, but I'll say that "stripping membranes" sounds rather barbaric, but sounds worse than it is. Regardless, it won't be long now. It can't be, I don't think.
If you know anything about me, you know my reputation for curiosity, so it shouldn't surprise you that I might have asked the nice doctor about the bodily function they give the highly technical name of "mucus plug." Doctor's response: "it's not a cork." Ha.
Today is Monica's last day of work, formally, at the University Press until mid-July. Vicki Davies, our friend and Monica's boss, has shown us, but especially Monica, many kindnesses as the pregnancy has neared its end, taking Monica home for me, when I couldn't leave the NMA (thank you); encouraging Monica to feel that there is work that she can later do from home, once the formal maternity leave time ends. It makes me very grateful.
While I haven't gotten permission, I'm going to post this little beauty, too. It's awesome!

10 comments:

Monica said...

The sad thing is: I had to hold my feet up to get my toes into the shot. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Okay, Peanut, it's time to give your mommy a break. What we want to know is who painted these cute toenails? Love you 3. Grandma and Grandpa 2B B.

"Little" Jamie said...

well, i haven't been to the blog in awhile, but i enjoyed reading all the posts and replies since my last visit. Thanks for putting this together you guys!

Getting close now!

Anonymous said...

I heard I had to see THE PICTURE. I hope that when the event happens all goes well. It is exciting, that's for sure. Having a child is an all consuming event. Wanted to remind you about "lanolin hydrous". It really is the key to successful breast feeding and let me knwo if yuo have any questions in that regard, but I'm sure there will be a lot of "auntie" advice. Take care guys, Cindy

P.S. Sent some of our pics from California. Just returned from 10 days in the south lands....a great vacation.

Jamie Robertson said...

Toe-rise over the mom's horizon.

Monica said...

Tell me about it! I'm feeling very planetary lately. :)

Unknown said...

Gosh, it is too exciting now! I hope you are both managing to sleep through Colin's "curiosity". . .

Anonymous said...

Peanut's mom is a very good sport! Not to mention belly model. The painted toes rising over his mama and him will make Peanut giggle one day, and they sure made us smile. On the video, it was so fun to see him responding to the little nudges from his mom, the beginning of a long and sweet relationship with his parents. Love you. Can't wait to meet Peanut.

caiticoodita said...

monica!
How in the heck did you paint your little toes? that seems like it might be difficult based on this photo! I love it!
Did my brother do that?:-)
I'm glad to see that you are chic even when you're ready go into labor!:-)
love, Caitlin

Monica said...

He's been willing to help -- but I somehow was able to pull it off. My basic strategy is to paint the entire toe and then remove it from the skin, rather than try to stay in the lines on the nail. :) This is generally my strategy, even when not pregnant.